Recipe of the Month: Turkey Chili
Brittany Kelley RD, LDN
As November sets in, bundle up with a cup of this warm and savory turkey chili! Not only does it include a bunch of healthy protein from both the beans and the turkey, but it is also loaded with high fiber veggies too! Chili like this is great to help keep you full for longer, as well as satisfy your taste buds too!
- ●1 lb. lean ground turkey
- ●1 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ●2 large garlic cloves, minced
- ●1/2 medium onion, diced
- ●1 small red bell pepper, diced
- ●1 small zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- ●1 medium carrot, diced
- ●2 Tbsp. chili powder
- ●1 Tbsp. cumin, ground
- ●2 tsp. coriander, ground
- ●1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce + ½ can water
- ●1 can (15 ounces) Crushed or petite diced tomatoes
- ●1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- ●1 cup corn, frozen
- ●Dash of Cayenne (optional)
- ●Salt to taste
- Heat your pot or pan to medium heat, and add oil of choice. Begin to add the garlic and onions until golden brown, then mix in bell peppers, zucchini or yellow squash, and carrots and sauté. Mix in ground turkey and cook until no longer pink in color.
- Next add in seasonings, tomato sauce as well as crushed tomatoes, black beans, corn and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender. Add toppings of choice: sliced avocado, light cheddar cheese crumbles, etc.